JUKAYA is an on-rails endless shooter in the vein of the classics with a heavy emphasis on Vaporwave visuals and sound. The game consists of surviving increasingly intense waves of enemies in an attempt to stave off the inevitable setting of the Vaporwave sun.
Jukayasoft is an informal game development team made up of Sean Murphy, Lars Aass Olsen and Sivert Natanael Hjortland. It has been inflicting its games upon the world since 2018.
Original design & development
Sivert Natanael Hjortland
Visual design, concept and SFX
Lars Aass Olsen
Design and video editing
JUKAYA began as a prototype project developed by Sean and Alexander in their free time, inspired by the genre classics of the 64-bit era. Much of the core gameplay from this prototype have survived into the finished product.
Shortly after the team began a course in marketing at Kristiania University College, the game saw rapid development between August and September of 2018. The game's visuals and setting were shifted from a sci-fi action game into a Vaporwave tribute, efforts spearheaded by Sivert and Lars. At that point, JUKAYA was intended to include a number of levels and a boss encounter, though development on these features had to take a back seat due to coursework overload.
As time went on, Sivert modified the game into its endless runner design, doing most of the coding and visual design to accommodate this change.
- Pilot the Vaporwing and blast the hell out of weird and wonderful pixellated enemies
- A dynamic difficulty that increases the longer you play
- Bask in the timeless aesthetic of a surreal Vaporwave world, designed by pixel artist Sivert Natanael Hjortland
- Experience the haunting, nostalgic soundtrack by Norwegian Vaporwave artist YIFFØ
- Navigate an archaic desktop, complete with weird and suspect programs that may or may not give you nightmares
Jukayasoft allows for the contents ofJukaya to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Jukaya is permitted by Jukayasoft, as long as they also follow the guidelines set at http://yiffoo.tumblr.com/yourrights.